The University of Pretoria (UP) in partnership with the Mastercard Foundation (MCF) is currently offering scholarships for high achieving African students interested in studying at postgraduate levels, commencing in January 2020.
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program (MCFSP) targets academically talented yet economically disadvantaged young people in Africa who will contribute to the transformation of the continent through their knowledge, skills, attitudes and values evidenced by their leadership. Community service and internships are essential components of the Program. The MCFSP offers a full scholarship to selected students who have been provisionally admitted to study towards a postgraduate degree at UP. Graduates must return to their home countries on completion of their studies and give back to their communities.
Admission Application to University of Pretoria:
Applications commence: 1st March, 2020
Applications close: 31st August, 2020
Scholarship Applications for the MCFSP
Start date: 1st May, 2020
Applications Close: 18th September, 2020
Apply for the MasterCard Foundation Scholarships at Makerere University (2020/2021)
Selection will focus on prior academic achievement, but also on the fit of the applicant to the ethos of the Program, which is focused on leadership and community development for Africa in addition to academic success. Successful applicants must be committed to completing their qualifications in minimum time, returning to their home countries and giving back to their communities.
Instructions for Applicants
- In order to apply for the scholarship, you MUST have been admitted into a degree at UP. You will need your student number to complete the MCFSP application, which must be accompanied by your academic records and other supporting documents as outlined in the application form.
- Be sure to include documents that support what your family, guardian or foster parents can afford to pay. Examples of such documentation include bank statements, pay slips and loan documents.
- Only students admitted to full-time study at UP will be considered for the scholarship.
- Only prospective students who cannot afford to pay the full fees are eligible to apply. Do not apply for funding if you or your parents, guardian or foster parents can afford the full tuition fees.
- All the information provided must be accurate and true. Any falsification of information on the application form may result in disqualification from consideration for a scholarship.
- MCFSP is only recruiting outside of the SADC Region for 2021 and there are NO UNDERGRADUATE scholarships.
If your application is successful, the Program will cover the following:
- Full tuition fees
- Accommodation and meals in a UP residence or UP-accredited accommodation
- A modest monthly stipend
- Textbooks and printed material
- Medical aid cover for the duration of the study
- VISA costs
- Reasonable travel costs (including flight ticket) to and from your home
- Leadership development opportunities
- Academic advising and counselling support
Apply for Full Tuition Scholarships at Jacobs University (Undergraduates & Graduates)
- Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences
- Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences
- Faculty of Humanities for entry into the Honours or Masters (Political Studies or International Studies only)
- Faculty of Engineering – continuing students are eligible to apply
Find more information on the specific courses offered in the above mentioned faculties here.
How to apply
Step 1: You may apply online (visit the “Programme Website“, link is highlighted below). To use the online Application system, you will need Internet access and an email address that you can access regularly. As soon as you submit your online application, a student number (EMPLID) will be sent to this email address as confirmation of receipt.
Alternatively, you can submit a hard copy of your application form to the
University of Pretoria
Student Service Centre
Step 2: The application will be evaluated by members of the relevant faculty and you will be informed of the outcome.
Postgraduate applicants are required to have their certificate verified by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA). Please visit www.saqa.org.za
Step 3: Download application forms for the MCFSP (link available below).
Learn more about the GOOGLE AFRICA DEVELOPER SCHOLARSHIP (GADS) 2020
More Details and Application
Direct application enquiries: email@example.com or call: 012 420 4297
Visit the Scholarship Website
Read the general information for international students
Application for admission at the University of Pretoria is fully online at www.up.ac.za/apply
Download the Postgraduate Scholarship Application form