Makerere University entered a partnership with The MasterCard Foundation to offer scholarships to 1,000 academically bright but economically disadvantaged youth from Africa to study at Makerere University from 2013 to 2023. This is a project worth US $ 20,989,965.15 implemented at Makerere University with the aim of developing the next generation of African Leaders and also to promote the strategic objectives of Makerere University and The MasterCard Foundation in contributing to Africa’s higher education sector and development.
Since 2014, the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at Makerere University has provided scholarships to academically talented, yet economically disadvantaged students from Sub-Saharan Africa to access quality undergraduate education. The Program focuses on developing transformative leaders and
encouraging them to be active contributors to society. Recipients of this scholarship are provided with comprehensive financial, academic, career as well as social support for the entire period of their study at the University. Makerere University is pleased to announce 51 undergraduate scholarship opportunities for the academic year 2020/2021.
The MasterCard Foundation Scholars at Makerere University offers comprehensive student support, that include;
- Tuition and Functional fees
- Laptop, books and other learning materials
- Accommodation, beddings and meals
- Medical insurance
- Transport to and from home
- Psychosocial and mentorship support
- Capacity building training in leadership, Communication, Entrepreneurship, Financial Literacy, Gender and Human Rights
Apply for Full Tuition Scholarships at Jacobs University (Undergraduates & Graduates)
How to Apply
Applicants should obtain and complete the Scholarship Application Forms at no cost from Makerere University, Senate Building Level 4, Room 402, or Download the application forms (click the “Download” button below).
Submit completed application forms to the address in (1) above by 5.00pm on Friday 15th May 2020. If submitting by email as an attachment, ensure the scanned copy of the scholarship application form is clearly legible and send to email@example.com. or firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Application forms are not for sale and no payments should be made by applicants at any stage of the selection process
Important Points to Note
- Whereas both young men and women applicants are eligible, young women applicants will be given priority.
- This program exercises merit principles and zero tolerance to dishonesty. Any form of influence pedaling by anybody will lead to automatic disqualification of the applicant.
- Cases of impersonation, falsification of documents, giving false and or incomplete information whenever discovered will lead to automatic disqualification and or prosecution in the courts of law of Uganda.
- Makerere University appeals to the public to be aware of fraudsters within or outside of the University, who might want to take advantage of the scholarship application process by way of selling scholarship forms, or soliciting for money in the hope of securing an applicant a scholarship. Mastercard Foundation Scholarship application form is free of charge; individuals caught in the act of defrauding the public will be prosecuted in courts of law.
- Only successful applicants will be notified at every step of the scholarship application process, and the decision of the Selection Committee will be final in the awarding of the Scholarship.
- While the scholarship is a preserve of students admitted to Makerere University, the Scholarship Coordination Office is not responsible for the requirements for admission into Makerere University. All potential Scholarship applicants should meet the necessary requirements to be admitted into the University on the private sponsorship scheme.
- Those applicants who will not have heard from us by Friday 28th August, 2020 should consider their application unsuccessful.
Learn more about the GOOGLE AFRICA DEVELOPER SCHOLARSHIP (GADS) 2020
In order to be considered for the The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at Makerere University;
Both males and females are eligible. Applicants must be;
- Academically talented, must value learning and be driven to complete their education.
- Economically disadvantaged and facing significant financial barriers to accessing education.
- Committed to giving back to their own communities once studies are completed.
- Return to their home areas and countries and take a leadership role in promoting social and economic improvement.
- Future leaders committed to embracing ethical leadership to improve the lives of others.
- Commitment to community service through previous and/or past engagements with community outreach activities
- Citizens and residents of all African countries.
- Wanting to study at undergraduate level at Makerere University
- Applying to study in the preferred fields of Agriculture, Veterinary medicine, ICT, Health Sciences, Technology and Engeneering, Law and Human rights and Business and Financial Management at Makerere University.
- All prospective Scholars must first be admitted to Makerere University to be considered for the Scholarship.
- Only youth in the categories below qualify to apply:
- Refugees living in Uganda
- Internally displaced youth
- Students who completed the Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education (UACE) from schools located in Northern Uganda.
- Students who completed Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education (UACE) from schools located in Eastern Uganda.
- Must have completed the Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education (UACE) in 2018 or 2019 and must not be a registered student of any other University/Institution.
- Must be admitted on private scheme to study at Makerere University main campus in the academic year 2020/2021. This means that in order to fit within the admission guidelines, all Scholarship applicants should endeavor to apply for admission when Makerere University advertises for private sponsorship.
- Must be from an economically disadvantaged background.
- Should exhibit academic excellence in either Sciences or Arts with a minimum of 11 points for young women and 13 Points for young men obtained in Uganda
- Advanced Certificate of Education (U.A.C.E) or its equivalent obtained in 2018 and 2019.
- Must demonstrate leadership potential and have a record of community service.
- Should not be a holder of any other Scholarship
Join the Facebook Community Accelerator 2020
For more information please contact:
Planning and Development Department (PDD)
Flat 1, Block C, Lincoln Flats,
P O Box 7062 Kampala
Tel: +256 414 542 470 | +256 414 532 699
More Details and Application
Visit the Programme Website